Monday, December 15, 2008

Summer Thoughts

Well, yesterday got to almost 50 degrees here in northern Michigan -- it's unusual but not unheard of in December. But.... last night from about 4:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. the temperature plummeted over 30 degrees -- we are now in the teens!! Since it rained all day yesterday, the roads have become a solid sheet of ice, in addition, we've begun the famouse "lake effect snow" and the winds have howled all day at 20 - 30 miles per hour. All in all, a dismal, grey day. But... no school, a chance to allow my body to heal from the cold it decided I should get right now (I hear several of you saying "well, duh, when you're that busy and don't take care of yourself, what do you expect), and a chance to get a couple of projects done. Nope, no art, but I'm thinking of walking over to the studio and do a little -- the problem is, I have to go outside for about 12 steps. Maybe I will, or maybe I'll get another cup of hot tea, and grab a good book.
So - in honor of today's blustery weather, here are pictures from this summer. Summer Love!


Blue Lake's third session band conductors - Jane Church, Mike, myself, Dennis Zeisler. We sure have fun while working hard! Hot, hot days of summer!

flowers from the garden -- there were so many good garden moments this summer!


these were wonderful - the flowers were almost a straw flower like feel -- very unusual.
ASBDA Convention in Milwaukee started the summer - some great fun & this is a shot of the director's reading band -- and we were all decked out in our convention shirts! This is a picture of Jeff, from Warren, Michigan (Detroit area) who is a good friend to both Mike & I -- he has been National President of ASBDA, and I know I'll be asking him lots of questions in the next two years! (ASBDA is American School Band Directors Association - I was elected National President-Elect at this convention)
Nothing else spells summer to me like peonies, and I'll end today's post with a peony from my garden this summer. They always go into their beautiful, fragrant show just as school is ending for the year. I have four colors in my yard, this wonderful medium purple, a dark red, a light pink, and pure white. When I see peonies, I think summer.
Well, a little art making, perhaps, but at the very least, a little hot tea & dreams of summer!

1 comment:

WorkingMommy said...

It has been in the negatives here the past three days! Ugh!! My car wouldn't start today it was so cold. I am not a cold person. I don't mind the snow, but this whole ice/snow/rain mix has got to go!

I'm coming to MI around the 2nd of Jan. I hope it's not like this then.