Thursday, August 20, 2009

More stuff

One of my classes that I just "had" to take at AU this year was Richard Salley's Copper Enameled Bracelet. While anyone who knows me well, knows I adore bracelets, it wasn't about the bracelet that I went ga-ga, it was the chance to learn copper enameling. If I did only one class at AU this year, it was going to be this one. **And was I petrified ~ after all, this involves fire!!** LOL!! (Thanks, Kim, for talking me through my momentary panic just before class began!!)
I did a necklace, too, and fired some other pieces for someone else, because I was all done and had no more copper read to fire. This seemed just as natural to me as walking -- in fact a couple of the ladies watched what I was doing, because they said that I made it look easy. HA!

Kim said before I went in, that I would probably love the class, and then want to do it more. And it's funny, it was so very easy, almost natural to me, but I think I need more practice before I want to do a lot more of it. Right now, I'm thinking I may take the same class from him again next year, try it some more, and then see if I want to continue. For now, no more new stuff. (Well, that's not true ~ I bought a new sewing machine yesterday. I'd drooled over it for a while, and finally just went down & purchased. Ooh, it will be fun & and I'll post pics when I've got it up and running.)
Anyway, here's the bracelet - and the necklace I made from the bracelet scraps - complete with a toggle that I created out of some of the leftover wire from someone else's project. Geesh - once a scavenger, always a scavenger, I guess!

And, here's one of the panels from my class with Jane LaFazio, called "Paper on Cloth Collage." It will be interesting to see what it looks like once I add the stitching (with my new machine), as that will outline the flower, create the stem, and give some other little accents. When it's done, I will post.

Until next time ~ have a great day!





,

3 comments:

Art After Midnight said...

So much to do and so little time! Sounds like you're having a ball before school starts, enjoy. A new sewing machine, yum, been thinking about that myself. Let me know what brand and how you like it.

WorkingMommy said...

I need a sewing machine as well...my hand held deal is waaaayyy outdated! LOL!

Lynn Cohen said...

Hey hi, thanks for stopping at my blog today and leaving such warm comments. I felt so HEARD!!! I won't forget that! (really)...

Your flower is lovely, and I look forward to seeing it finished with the new machine, which one did you get?

The jewelry looks like fun! Glad you took to it so easily.

I know about full time teaching, I am married to one!