Sunday, August 28, 2011

Resolution

I'm not one to make New Year's Resolutions.  The best time to begin anything is 10 years ago.  The second best time to begin anything is now.  Why wait?  No fear of failure, either.  Just start.

So, about a week and a half ago, maybe more, I started trying to draw or paint daily.  Something, anything.  The "drawing" thing kept me from doing this for quite some time.  My friend Kim pushed me to take a drawing class with the wonderful Jane LaFazio.  It was terrifying for me - I'll admit it. 

And what was worse?  I liked it. 

Fast forward a full year.  Have I done any more drawing?  Nope.  Had I thought about that experience?  Almost every day.  And what was worse, was that I would often talk to my own students about the importance of practice.  "If you want to get good at something, you have to dedicate a little time on a very regular basis, to the practice of that thing." 

Geesh.  Was I listening?

Well, yes, and so I began.  Here's a peek into my sketchbook:



So far, I'm liking this drawing, painting daily thing - some days I won't get to do both, and some days I'll be able to gloriously enjoy time spent with great intention on my sketchbook.  But for now, just setting aside time to practice seems enough.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Love your drawing and painting. And, good for you for doing it! I never seem to get to it.

Art After Midnight said...

You go girl!!! Nice, I love it!!!