Thursday, June 25, 2009

Donation

Since I don't work on art pieces beyond cards and an occasional journal page much during the school year, to say that since April I've been working in series seems a little presumptuous, but that's the truth. I've been working "in series," and only now have the time to spend really working this series of pieces to it's natural conclusion. I have two new pieces, one of which I just donated to the ASBDA Foundation Auction. I also donated 4 packages of cards. I'm happy to say the donations brought the foundation lots of money, and I can't help but say it was kind of fun to sit there and watch my art being bid on furiously by several people. I had one person say to me, once the auction was over, "one of these years, I'm going to get one of your pieces - I love them all!" Ooh, have to tell you, that made me feel pretty good!



I have a couple of other "series" pieces in a different series that I am also working on right now, that I am very pleased with. I have also been working on about 4 pieces that have sat in the studio for 1 - 3 years, just waiting. I haven't ever felt bad about them, you know, I start something, and then set it aside. I have several canvases like that - try something out, see what happens, and then set it aside. Well, I had one of those Archimedes moments on Tuesday, and worked on three of them - so far, they are very pleasing. I have high hopes.

While in Nashville, we went to an art/craft fair at the Parthenon. Now, the Parthenon itself is cool, and if in Nashville, you should go see it - it's a full size replica of the actual Parthenon, and it was built during the time of Nashville's Centennial Exposition. It's the only remaining building on site from that exposition, and it's cool. The upstairs (main floor) houses the world's largest indoor sculpture, and although I didn't get to see that, because the exhibit was closed (they were filming the opening scenes for NBC Monday Night Football...... football follows me through my life, doesn't it?......) the bottom floor is really cool - a mix of art museum and historical museum about the Nashville Centennial Exposition.

Anyway, it was 96 degrees outside, and about 98 % humidity. I think I've only been truly hotter once in my life (in New Orleans in August), and so the art show was a quick once over for me. BUT.... Mary Beth Shaw was there exhibiting, and so I got to meet her, and looked at her work. I LOVED it, but it was SO hot, that I just didn't want to make a decision, and since her works were not inexpensive, I picked up a business card, rather than a piece. Perhaps I'll be able to pick something out via website/email & have her ship it. She was delightful and perky, and it was wonderful to see her work, which I have admired for quite some time, in person!

2 comments:

Blaiz said...

Great piece you posted. Yes, it is wonderful to have people appreciate your work, isn't it?

WorkingMommy said...

what a great feeling!!