Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sidebar - why I love teaching

Okay, so this isn't a blog about my "day job," but I have to insert something here about my day job, because well, I love it.  (most of the time, anyway)

I'm a school band director - that means I do a lot of concerts in a year.  The "famous" one around town is the big spring concert that has all the kids play in all the grades.  The seniors always take a moment, and do a presentation to me (I've been their teacher for 8 years by then).  Sometimes it's touching, sometimes it's funny.  It's always memorable. 

This year, my seniors latched onto something that I had done years ago.  I don't like the movie "Titanic."  There was a medley of Broadway show tunes that they wanted to play, and I said sure, but "we're not playing any music from Titanic..." When pressed, I had to admit that I don't like the movie, because, no matter what anyone does, in the end, the ship always sinks.  I like happy endings.

So, my presentation was all about "Titanic" and they even made this amazing Titanic replica out of wood - you should see the detail!  It had lights, and even smoke coming out of the smoke stacks.  Gotta love it. 

There was more, very touching, and very memorable.  My eyes fill a little just thinking about it. 

1 comment:

Art After Midnight said...

Awe, that's so sweet! Teaching does have it's upside.