Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reading & May

Every May I am liberated to begin doing "me" things again - spring brings such renewal, and for me, the end of "contest" season, which means not thinking about those things again until next year. Whew.....

Now, the reading list can come out. I read a wonderful blog post today by Rice Freeman-Zachary (her blog is wonderful, and I'm a big fan - I highly recommend) about reading. Do you remember voraciously reading books as a child? She talks in her post about the teachers in school putting the homework assignment on the chalkboard along with the day's work, so that students like her (**and me too**) could get the work done in school and then run home to other things -- like reading.

I remember most of the time having my nose in a book, whenever I wasn't either doing chores or practicing my instruments. Now it seems like whenever I have time, especially during the winter months, I want to just come home and crawl under the covers and catch some coveted zzzz's, but spring always brings renewed hope of a chance to read.

I think reading is a habit, and I want to find my way back to that habit. Perhaps along the way, the whole reading for work thing got in the way of reading a good story, well told. I'm looking forward to making friends with new characters, and visiting new magical places this spring and summer. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: