Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beginnings

So, today was the first day of school for students. It's always fun for me to see the students for the first time.


Do you remember a time when you did exactly the opposite of logic on the first day of school? I do, and I think of it every year on the first day of school. I had gotten a beautiful new top and pair of pants in a very fall like color, and very fall like in their style (they were really meant for cool weather). I just couldn't wait to show off my new 'duds' - they were very stylish & I felt like a queen. Yes, of course, the first day of school was very hot. I wouldn't be detered, and wore them anyway. Funny how I remember it to this day, so I guess everything is meant to 'be' something - it doesn't matter if it becomes it's intended purpose or not -- I still think about my need for style over my need for comfort at that time.



I watched all of the young girls today, so many dressed up in their finery -- how I smiled. Bravo - continue to think about style over comfort from time to time. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as it makes you smile! And sometimes, like me, it will make you smile for decades!

Speaking of smiling - this picture of Mike and my father in law Al makes me smile. They wanted to borrow my car (okay, my new toy) and go for a ride while we were visiting. I knew that Al would love to get a chance to drive it -- look at their smiles -- what do you think?

The only disappointment of late was the fact that we missed out on the last day of the fish market for the summer. It is about 45 minutes from our house, and we decided that Monday we would go there & have one more fish fry for the summer. Convertible top down, we drove, anticipating what we would order. As we approached, we both said out loudn- "I think we've got a problem." Yes, you're right - they were already closed. Well, beloved fish market, we will be back next spring, perhaps even on opening day, we are so wanting our fish dinner (Mike, whitefish or snapper, me, shrimp or scallops). Until then, we will smile with the memory of this summer's delightful dinners on your picinic tables on the front lawn. Yummmmm......

No comments: