Monday, September 1, 2008

More Garden Goodies, more summer fun



The garden looks so good now, all the colors of late summer - the beautiful greens and reds and yellows. I made a tomato pie yesterday, and when I brought the tomatoes in they were still warm from the sun. What a great joy for all of the senses! And again, we got to share it with friends last evening to celebrate the end of summer and the start of a new school year -- what a joy! Thank you for a great evening!







Earlier in the summer, the peonies were in full bloom - we have several gorgeous colors of them blooming in one big mass right outside the back door -- they are a great way to welcome in the summer, and I post their pictures here to remind me of the wonderful summer that was, and how it began in a burst of blooms.

Earlier in the summer I had the chance to reconnect with one of my college roommates, Pam. She was visiting her mother and we arranged for a dinner and evening concert together - what a fun evening we had. There are those people, who, even after a long time apart (we promised it would never be that long again!) you can sit down with, start chatting, and it's like you were never apart. Well, for me, that's Pam. Thanks, Pam, for sharing all the great things you're up to these days -- I can't wait to see some of your wonderful art quilts. (Isn't it crazy how our lives have taken similar paths -- she doing art quilts now, and me doing other forms of art making?) Pam, do you remember us all sitting around in our dorm room doing cross stitch, way back when? Ha! Makes me smile, just remembering it!

I'm also getting ready to go to Valley Ridge Art Studio in a couple of weeks -- I'll be taking a class with Katie Kendrick that I am so excited about being able to take. She did an article in "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" magazine about a cardboard visual journal that I poured over when it came out. In fact, I bought some cheesecloth & a roll of gauze bandage, because I was so inspired. And then, of course, work and obligations got in the way, and there those items sat. So then, when the Art Unraveled schedule came out, I was heartsick that she had a class offered on doing just that journal that was opposite the DJ Pettitt 2-day class that I absolutely felt that I *must* take. A HA -- Valley Ridge published their class schedule and there it was!! Fortunately, with a little fancy scheduling, I've been able to take the class, even though I'll be rushing in at the last minute (sorry, Katie...) and rushing out probably just before the class is over. But.... I get to go!!! So, I've been studying the supply list (the cheesecloth and gauze were not a problem!!) and I'm hoping to put all of my treasures into the suitcase today, so that each time I walk by it, I will smile. I'm so excited, and Valley Ridge is a most amazing place with a vista and a wonderful ambiance -- inspires the creativity!



Well, off to the last day of 'getting ready' for a new school year. Yes, I'll do some prep work, but I also have a convertible ride to a great fish fry waiting! I can't think of a better way to get mentally prepared!!

No comments: